Thursday, January 03, 2008

Depressing play-test and additional scripting

I had a depressing play-test the other night. I started from the very beginning of the game and starting working my way through. While doing this, I discovered several bugs I hadn't seen before. The most unnerving bug I found was that several of the animations assigned to various non-player characters were not running properly. The strange this is how fickle they were. Sometimes they ran; other times they did not. There seems to be no pattern to why or when they fail to run. I suppose I will have to check, re-check, then check it all over again.

On the bright side, I successfully implemented the first "mission". It is simple enough, but seems to run just fine. I have a second mission planned. This one will be much longer and more detailed. I had to consult with my technical director on a storyline aspect before I wanted to dig too deep into this second mission.

Normally, mission updates can be done through a single journal script. I tried using this when I was building the first mission, but found that it lacked the depth I needed to create some truly unique scripting. I decided to add a secondary floating variable to accompany all missions with the same tag-line. It will involve me adding additional scripting, but I think...correction...I KNOW it will benefit me in the end. It also means that I will need to be careful with mission scripting, as I will be relying on two scripts to fire properly rather than just a solitary one.