Sunday, January 27, 2008

No Spawning, Only Jumping

I had a good couple of days with game design. I discovered something that doesn't seem to work the way it did in the old engine and I can't figure out why.

In the old engine, I wrote a simple script to spawn non-player mobs without difficulty. For some odd reason, this new engine recognizes the script, but fails to fire it. I was able to come at it from a different angle. By placing the defined mob in another location, I was able to get a script to “jump” them to set waypoint. In this case, I just made a room inaccessable to place all the area spawning mobs. As long as their AI is disabled until I fire the “jump” they ignore each other, even if they would normally be hostile to one another. I don't see this causing any future problems, yet I am curious why my older script fails. I remember that id Software's “Doom” did something similar with their spawning mobs.

I also need a better system of setting up proper camera angles. Right now, I have to “eyeball” them then check them out through a play-test. It's not the fastest system in the world. Perhaps I could give them a set facing towards a waypoint or a small floor mounted trigger.

I bought a new notepad, because I was tired of using sticky notes to document my local integers. I originally thought it was good idea to use sticky notes, until one floats away and I have to backtrack to remember what I set.