Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Broken Animations

Well, I've spent the past couple of days with further work on animations. "In conversation" animations has been a real pain thus far. I'm finding that many of them are "broken" from the start, so the methods provides within the engine are completely useless. I have been getting them to work through manually inputting the scripts. What that translates to is this:

Instead of "clicking" the animation box and chosing "chuckle", I have to compile my own script:

void main()
{
object oPC = GetPCSpeaker();
object oTarget= GetTargetByTag("character name here");

ActionPlayAnimation(ANIMATION_FIREFORGET_CHUCKLE);
}

I basically have to write something similar for every line that I wish a character to show some animation during a conversation. Of course, once I've written that script for that animation on that character, I can use it again.

Needless to say, I start thinking about how many character that I may want to have "chuckle" and I start to feel a headache coming on. On the bright-side, I know the bug and know how to work around it, so not all that horrible.