Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Encounter success

Today was a big success for the Rise of the Fallen project. The first NPC encounter runs perfectly and the aftermath conversation flows well. I still have some animation bugs to work out, but I have faith that they will be easily ironed out.

I set the scene with the player entering a trigger which ran a script to spawn an NPC that joins as a companion in the aftermath conversation. The spawning waypoint was placed behind a group of trees, so it looks completely natural. The intent was give the appearance like the NPC runs out from a patch of trees. It looks really good.

A placed a group of undead just beneath the cover of some spawn water to give them the appearance of rising from the water. After a couple play tests, I realized that I made them a bit too tough to defeat so I will back them down a bit. The last thing I want to do is kill the player ten minutes into the game. I won't start making things tough until the player has somewhat of a base of operations started in a village or a town.

All over, today seemed to flow pretty well.