Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Default tints and how they effect us all

Rise of the Fallen is still rolling out on a moderate pace. I'm just hoping that things will go this smoothly from now on. I'm getting extremely sick of trying to repair scripts that worked a week before, but somehow, fail to fire properly after a compile.

I ran into a single hiccup today that ended up opening up future possiblies. All problems should end with a result such as thing.

I have been thinking of a way to incorporate a character that I have always felt was an interesting concept: the vampire paladin. So after a month of planning, I decided I was gonna forge ahead and at least get the blueprint reference in place so I didn't have a tinker with it later. This female vampire paladin started to form as I began assigning the physical appearance. She needed some armor and I wanted to go with full plate. I constructed it in the best way I felt would suit her. It had to have it's own unique appearance.

I decided on a dark purple color for the steel. Saved and compiled it. Added it to the vampire and went for a play test to make sure the shadows rendered well. Behold, the steel was not showing up as purple. I tried it a couple more times, just to make sure that I hadn't missed something.

The non-player characters have a default tint setting. The inventory tints mean little unless you remove the default setting. I was able to achieve the dark purple, by changing the character tints.

This would come in handy if you had a non-player controlled character that only wore black. You could change their personal tints, so no matter what they donned, the tints would show as "black". Pretty handy, if you ask me. This would fit in nicely with a "Johnny Cash" type character or a druid that only wore earth tones. There might even be a lingering theme of Miami Vice in there somewhere.